Playa Del Carmen Booze Cruise
…the best way to see the sea…
Close your eyes.
Imagine a big boat.
Imagine that boat filled with people.
Imagine all of those people with beers and cocktails in their hands.
Now imagine a DJ playing some badass music.
Add a few cool dudes leading some wild drinking games and dancing activities.
Now continue this dream for around 4-6 hours–with all the drinks you can pour down your throat and all the food your stomach can handle.
Throw in some snorkeling and paddle boarding on the side to boot.
Finally, picture all of this taking place within the backdrop of a turquoise blue Caribbean sea, teeming with colorful tropical fish and prehistoric sea turtles.
As you gaze up at the huge mast and sail jutting out from the deck of the boat, you realize that you are…
…on a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise!
What is a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise?
However, within those four to six hours, you get to participate in a whole bunch of included activities and entertainment.
Booze cruises are relaxing, fun, and unforgettable–all packed together into a single afternoon.
If that doesn’t suit your fancy, I don’t know what will.
Booze Cruise Video (Shot In Playa Del Carmen)
Admittedly, not all booze cruises are the same. In this video, you get to see what a typical booze cruise might look like. Take a look at it, because if you like what you see, this could be you in the near future:
Why take a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise?
I don’t know about for you, but for me, the “all-you-can-drink” part of a booze cruise is the biggest selling point–all the other stuff is just icing on the cake! The good thing is that there is a lot of icing:
- When is the last time you went on a long boat ride in a tropical paradise?
- When did you last eat a lunch buffet from the deck of a boat?
- How long has it been since you indulged in an all-you-can-drink open bar?
- Have you snorkeled in the Caribbean sea lately?
If you factor in all of the amazing things that you can do during one activity, it quickly becomes a no-brainer:
A Playa Del Carmen booze cruise is one of the most economical ways to take advantage of all that you ever hoped for in a tropical destination.
- Unlimited alcoholic beverages
- Unlimited lunch buffet
- Snorkeling equipment
- Paddle board equipment
- Caribbean scenery
- Transportation to and from the booze cruise (more on this later)
If you think of how much money you would spend to experience each of these things individually, you can immediately see the value contained within a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
Will I get sick on the Playa Del Carmen booze cruise?
The answer is a little bit complicated. Fortunately, the chances of you getting sick or very slim for several reasons.
First of all, the boat you will be riding on is a catamaran.
A catamaran is a wide boat with two separate sections.
The two sections are built to maintain stability in the water.
Unlike a regular “V-Hull” boat, catamarans float more horizontally on the water because there are two separated pieces that assure the boat remains stable.
Secondly, booze cruises only take place if the weather is acceptable for sailing.
If it is stormy, rainy, or the sea is rough, your booze cruise will be cancelled and you will need to reschedule it for another date.
Finally, cruising is not the only thing that you will do during your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
You will be stopping several times along the trip and land will always be in site.
For the above reasons, it is quite rare that people get sick on a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
Where does the Playa Del Carmen booze cruise go? Will we get to meet some real pirates?
Unfortunately, you will not likely meet any pirates during your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise. (They only exist off the coast of Africa–and Venezuela today!!!)
However, you will enter some waters that used to be infested with pirates–who fiercely fought against Spanish conquistadors for territorial control. Unfortunately, the gold and treasure is long gone.
(But then again, if you see something shiny while out snorkeling, be sure to save the coordinates!)
Your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise will take you to several different destinations, depending on which boat you take.
These destinations may include the following:
- Isla Mujeres Booze Cruise – The literal name translated is “Woman’s Island.” This island contains beautiful beaches, a quaint town-like atmosphere, and several interesting resorts. A booze cruise around this island includes snorkeling and sightseeing just off the island itself. You may not want to leave this area once you see it because it is intimate and unique.
- Cancun Booze Cruise – Cancun is known for its beautiful beaches and mega resorts that host a countless number of annual spring break parties. In addition to having a party reputation, the sea surrounding Cancun is teeming with wildlife that can only be seen once you enter the water. If you choose this booze cruise destination, you will see that around midday the water glows with a lustrous emerald green color when the sun is shining overhead. Mix this with some food and drinks, and you will swear that you’ve died and gone to heaven.
- Puerto Aventuras Booze Cruise – Puerto Aventuras is a near self-sustaining golf and yacht community. By comparison, have you ever seen the movie The Hobbit? Do you remember when the group of travelers enters the elvish kingdom?Well, that is what it’s like to enter Puerto Aventuras–it is another world. Everything there is built better than I’ve ever seen in Mexico. It is very luxurious and in a bracket of its own when it comes to sailing. It is the perfect destination to both set sail (and return to) during your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
These are several of the most common options that you have when it comes to choosing a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
However, fill out the form above.
I will have someone get back to you ASAP with any other options that are currently available.
What does the Playa Del Carmen booze cruise include?
Although every booze cruise is slightly different, they will usually include the following (listed in order of importance):
- Open bar – All you can drink beer, cocktails, and non-alcoholic drinks. Sometimes there is an additional charge that includes premium alcohol. However, most of the booze cruises are essentially all inclusive when it comes to drinks.
- Lunch – All the booze cruises will include lunch. Some of them serve an all-you-can-eat buffet style lunch. Others include a barbecue right on the deck of the boat. Either way, you will not be short on food during the length of your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise.
- Sightseeing – Being out at sea is one of the most beautiful, romantic, and enjoyable experiences that you will have during your trip to the Playa Del Carmen area. Your eyes will be utterly overwhelmed at the beauty and uniqueness of the waters surrounding Playa Del Carmen. Not only will you be able to see the attractions that exist above the water, but you will also get a first-hand experience with some of the creatures that lurk underneath. This includes fish, sea turtles, manta rays, etc.
- Snorkeling – Most booze cruises will include snorkeling, and I strongly recommend that you take advantage of it! Snorkeling in the waters surrounding Playa Del Carmen and the Riviera Maya is a rewarding experience. Depending on which booze cruise you decide on and where your sails take you, you will have the opportunity to experience some of the most beautiful underwater flora and fauna that exists on the planet. However, if you are scared water, scared of the sea, or just simply don’t like snorkeling, remember that this part of your trip is optional and not mandatory (i.e. nobody is going to throw you in the water…unless I am on the booze cruise with you).
- Snorkeling Equipment – You would not be able to go snorkeling without equipment, so this is obviously included.
- Paddle Boards – Although not all Playa Del Carmen booze cruises include paddleboards, if you do have the opportunity to take one, go for it. Paddle boarding may look boring from the shore, but standing on a paddleboard and moving is like walking on water. Experiencing the activity yourself is much more delightful than watching someone else do it.
- Transportation – Most of the Playa Del Carmen booze cruises include transportation to and from the port of sailing. Transportation is essential. If it is not included with the fair, it will cost extra. In addition, you want to be sure that your transportation includes an air-conditioned van or shuttle. Sometimes the heat in the Playa Del Carmen area can be brutal, so you want to make sure that your transportation is pleasant. Fill out the form above and someone will get back to you with all the options available.
- Entertainment – Although the alcohol, food, and scenery will be entertainment enough for many of you, some people enjoy a captain and crew that really get the party started. All of the Playa Del Carmen booze cruises will include a friendly captain and crew who enjoy their jobs and are happy to have you on board. In most cases, there will be some sort of music and entertainment the you are welcome and encouraged to partake in.
What do I need to bring on a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise?
However, there are several other things that you may want to bring in order to enjoy your trip and be more comfortable:
- Sunglasses – The reflection of the sun off the water can get kind of bread, so make sure you bring some sunglasses – preferably the polarized ones because they allow you to see deeper into the water.
- Sunscreen lotion – I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. The sun can be quite punishing here during the day. Make sure that you bring some sunscreen / sunblock lotion to protect your skin. If you don’t, you can expect to have a pretty good sunburn if you’re not already tan. Also, be sure that the sunblock lotion is biodegradable, as most of the tours and activities here will not allow you to use sunscreen unless it is biodegradable. Let’s face it, they’re probably not going to check the label. But do the wildlife in this area favor and use biodegradable sunscreen. It’s better for the local environment.
- Sun hat / baseball cap – In order to protect yourself even further from the sun, I would recommend wearing some kind of hat during your trip. However, I recommend a hat with one major caveat: make sure that the hat fits tightly. With a strong ocean breeze, a loosely fitting cap will fly off in a moment, and I doubt you’ll want to go chasing after it with the boat speeding full steam ahead.
- Cash – Never leave home without it. Make sure you have enough cash to cover any sort of expenses, souvenir purchases, extra costs that you may incur. You also may want to tip the captain and crew if they do a great job However, tipping on a booze cruise is definitely NOT necessary.
- ID – Some of the activities here require you to show your ID before participating in them. This is only because initially you will usually pay just a deposit to reserve your spot on the boat. At the time of departure, however, you will likely pay the remaining balance in cash. In order to be sure it was you who paid the deposit, they verify your name through your ID. In addition, it’s always recommended to carry your ID with you just in case of an emergency. You never know when you’ll need it.
- Swimsuit / bikini – Even if you don’t plan on going snorkeling or paddle boarding, it’s always nice to have these things with you just in case you change your mind. The beauty of the Caribbean Sea, coral reefs, and peer pressure can be quite persuasive, so always be ready to jump in the water.
- Cell phone / camera – If you want to get some pictures and video of your experience on the boat, make sure you bring your camera or cell phone with you.
- Whatever else – If you have some other special needs, don’t hesitate to add these to your list.
Most of all, bring a good attitude and be ready for some fun!
You are almost ready to go. However, there is one more pending question that must be answered…
How much does the Playa Del Carmen booze cruise cost?from $75 to $125 USD, depending on which booze cruise you take.
A lot will depend on what is included–
…and that is where you really have to be careful.
Take a look at some of the competitors’ websites.
Several of them are offering booze cruises for what appear to be ridiculously low prices. That’s because they don’t include two essential things:
- Port fee / Port tax
Just like anything else, you often get what you pay for.
In regard to a Playa Del Carmen booze cruise, you also have to remember that Playa Del Carmen does not have its own port for large boats and yachts. Consequently, most of the local booze cruises that run in the area set sail out of either Cancun or Puerto Aventuras.
Puerto Aventuras is approximately 20 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen (and, by the way, is a really cool community).
Cancun is an hour and a half north.
And this is exactly where the problem arises:
***If you see what appears to be a very cheap booze cruise, the first thing you need to verify is whether or not it includes transportation.
The second thing you need to check is where it departs from.
If it does NOT include transportation and departs from Cancun, expect to pay quite a bit for transportation.
If it does NOT include transportation and departs from Puerto Aventuras, it will still be some extra money, but significantly more reasonable.
In addition to the transportation costs, the Mexican government charges a port tax for each person that leaves and returns on a boat at sea.
Right now that fee is somewhere between $10 and $15 USD.
My point in mentioning this is that the port tax is sometimes NOT included in the price of the booze cruise.
Again, what might look like a spectacular deal may cost a lot more than you had originally bargained for!
Always double-check everything!
Whatever you do, don’t drink so much that they have to carry you off the boat.
Not only will you wake up the next day with a killer hangover, but you will have forgotten all the highlights of your Playa Del Carmen booze cruise!
I hope to see you sailing on the high seas soon…
Lots of love,