Playa Del Carmen Massage
…sensual, sexy, and ohhh, so suave…
There’s lots of touching, sure.
But the enjoyment of it also depends on the preferences of the person receiving the massage.
Most importantly, it depends on the particular talents of the person giving the massage.
In my experience, the quality of the massage that you’ll receive in Playa Del Carmen depends largely on who you get.
Now, if you have time to probar (that’s try out, in espanol) different masseuses, then you’ll eventually settle on one that suits your tastes.
However, if you’re only in town for a short while, then you’re out of luck – in which case read on.
I’ve got some information that could help you in your search to find a good place that offers exactly what you want.
Covering the Bases
For a day, or an hour, out of the sun in Playa Del Carmen, you really can’t go wrong with a massage.
To help you get your feet off the ground, as it were, let’s start with some of the more common types of massages you can find here.
Pretty much every massage place in Playa Del Carmen offers the traditional massages you’d find anywhere else.
These include a sports massage, deep tissue massage, and your regular, relaxing spa massage.
They can get your vacation started right, working that stress out of your body.
Or they can just be an hour well spent.
But if you’re looking for something a little more exotic than your run-of-the-mill massage, read on because I’m going to introduce you to some of the more common massages here and then tell you a little about the lesser-known massages:
Types of Massage Available In Playa Del Carmen
There are a several types of massage that are available at the variety of massage parlors in Playa Del Carmen.
They are usually the most popular as well–not because they are the best, but because more people are familiar with them than the others.
Here is a list of the massages available in Playa Del Carmen:
- Relaxing Massage – A relaxing massage is a gentle type of Swedish massage that uses long, smooth, gliding strokes with the primary purpose of helping you relax. Let’s be straight, you didn’t come all the way to Mexico to get more stressed out–you came here to relax! This massage is meant to help you do exactly that. With a relaxing massage, the focus is not on working knots or aches out of specific parts of your body. The purpose is to give your entire body the opportunity to unwind and enter a complete state of calm. This is the best massage to get “just for the fun of it” and also the most popular massage in Playa Del Carmen.
- Deep Tissue Massage – A deep tissue massage is a type of massage that targets specific spots or “knots” (technically called adhesions) throughout the body. A client is usually put into a relaxed state via a full body massage. Next, the specific problem areas are identified by a combination of both the massage therapist’s diagnosis and the client’s own estimation. Finally, a rigorous effort is put into loosening these tight areas and alleviating the muscle tension. The deep tissue massage is also very helpful for chronic pain from old, lingering injuries and for repetitive stress injuries. This is the best massage to choose if you want the benefits of a relaxing massage but also want to target specific problem areas of your muscle or connecting tissue. With all the walking, activities, tours, and fun that you’ll be having here, a deep tissue massage in Playa Del Carmen may be just what the doctor ordered.
- Sports Massage – A sports massage is a type of massage treatment for both the treatment and prevention of minor injuries that were sustained while playing or participating in a sports activity. It is slow, intentional, and focused. It works both the injury and the surrounding area. The point of a sports massage is to get blood flowing to the injured area in order to speed the healing process. My guess is that most of your reading this won’t be participating in too many heavy duty sports activities during your vacation here. However, you would be surprised by the kind whiplash that a person can suffer from multiple double takes of the bikini girls and buff dudes on the beach. (e.g. “Holy sh*t! Did you see that body???”) But on a more serious note, even jet skiing, parasailing, ziplining, horseback riding, skydiving, etc here can catch up to you if you’re not in shape. So keep this type of massage in Playa Del Carmen in the back of your mind if you suffer any sort of discomfort after a tour or activity here.
- Hot Stone Massage – A hot stone massage is a massage style that includes placing a number of preheated rocks on specific points of the body. The warm stones are meant to dissipate heat and more quickly help the muscles relax. Moreover, the warm stones work to increase blood circulation and increase the speed of the restorative healing process. In most pictures of hot stone massages, the rocks are placed along the spine. The congruity looks great in the pictures, but the fact is that the rocks are more often moved to various massage areas throughout the massage. A hot stone massage in Playa Del Carmen is a great style to test if you’ve never experienced it before. Some people swear by the effects of this type of Playa Del Carmen massage.
- Reflexology Massage – Reflexology massage is slightly more esoteric than the massages above. A reflexology massage is based on the idea that pressure points on the hands, fingers, and feet are linked to specific body parts and organs. Under this philosophy, applying pressure to what have been termed “reflex points,” your masseuse is able to stimulate endorphins in the brain. Due to this natural response, stress and pain are simultaneously reduced. Moreover, this sensation of tranquility is thought to relieve the nervous system. While reflexology was also used in several archaic cultures, the American physiotherapist Eunice Ingram codified the practice and brought it mainstream. I know that some people swear by a reflexology massage. Others are more skeptical. However, I also know that a hand and foot massage feels damn good! So if you are so inclined, you can give it a reflexology massage in Playa Del Carmen a try during your vacation here. You might discover a new healthy addiction to seek out when you get home!
- Lymphatic Massage – Lymphatic massage (a.k.a. Lymphatic Drainage Massage – and, yes, the name sounds absolutely disgusting) is a massage technique that was originally designed in Europe to treat a disorder called Lymphedema. This disorder is caused by an excessive amount of protein-based fluid that builds up just below the skin. The buildup is most common in the arms and legs, but can also occur in other parts of the body (abdomen, breasts, head, neck, etc…). This excessive buildup of causes swelling in the lymph areas. The lymphatic massage is focused on releasing this fluid and thereby reducing the associated swelling. This type of massage is available in Playa Del Carmen. You probably know it if you need it.
Local Flavor Massages in Playa
And I don’t just mean the food.
Sometimes this combination can be perfect.
An example is the way some spas work in traditional, centuries-old healing practices taken right from the Aztec and Mayan cultures.
These traditional touches (no pun intended) are like the cherry on top of your already awesome massage.
The idea is that these elements – like ‘aromatic essences’ (and other effeminate words that should never come out of a guy’s mouth) have special properties.
They are supposed to improve your mood, the wellness of your soul, and help you achieve some kind of synchronization with the environment around you.
The extent to which these things are true, I can’t really say – I don’t promise that you’ll see Jesus or some ancient Aztec god.
But I will say that the whole experience can be an awesome way to spend an hour (or two).
Plus, you would be hard pressed to find these things performed to such perfection anywhere else — especially in Mexico because perfectionists are almost non-existent in this country.
And then it gets better
Actually, if you can get a time slot at one of the places that massage you outside on the beach, facing the ocean, I highly recommend it.
There are several of these near the large, landmark statue of two Mayan women where Benito Juarez meets the beach (directly to the beach from the bus station).
But you may need to either plan in advance to get a reservation if it’s high season. Otherwise just go there and you will see the masseuses selling massages.
In any case, these places and some others also offer other spa services like manicure and pedicure.
You can get a facial, a body wrap, acupuncture, and some places even have trained chiropractors on their staff.
The regular, one hour massage will run you $25 at most places (depending on the exchange rate.
That’s the standard rate, often advertised as $50 for two people to receive a one hour massage.
As always, always pay in pesos. If you don’t, you will get an atrocious exchange rate — think 30% less than what you should receive!
But if you’re also interested in some extras, you may also find some packages on offer which can save you a little on everything together.
Popular Massage Places in Playa Del Carmen
But you can also find a few spots a little further out from the town center.
For anyone who likes the idea of the Mayan and Aztec stuff, I highly recommend Ya’ax Ché Spa.
By all accounts, they do an excellent job of incorporating those traditional practices, and their staff is trained and professional.
Another good option is Petit Lafitte (a boutique hotel right on the beach, formerly called Capitan Lafitte.)
I can also say that Itza Spa, a day spa right on Fifth Avenue, comes highly recommended from the travelers I’ve met.
And to round out your choices, there are also Magic Hands and Sabai Spa which come recommended.
So if you’re nice, the person making your reservation might recommend an especially good one.
As a final note to those who may be new to the massage experience – make sure you drink a lot of water afterward.
For some reason that I am yet to fully understand, getting massaged dehydrates you.
At least that’s what they say every time I go in for one.
And they also recommend it as a way to finish the process of cleaning the toxins out of your body.
I guess it’s some kind of cleansing thing like a juice diet, but more fun.
A nice rub and bottle of water later, maybe a facial and a pedicure too if you’re a lady (or a dude, who knows), you’ll be in pretty good shape to hit the beach or the clubs.
Lots of love,