Things To Do In Playa Del Carmen
…here are some things to get excited about…
Facebook stalking some chick you just met?
Eating a 2-pound bag of Doritos?
Getting squashed in a commuter train?
Let’s face it, the things our lives normally revolve around are boring – food, work, and wasting hours on social media.
However, the vast array of things to do in Playa del Carmen are very different.
Right now I’m probably fondling a dolphin.
Or swimming after a turtle, searching for a topless beach, hitting a swingers club, visiting a Mayan ruin, skydiving over the jungle, or God knows what else…
I’m not trying to sound cool. I’m not trying to make you jealous either.
I’m just inadvertently stating that there are thousands of amazing things to do in Playa del Carmen, and all of them are better than scrolling through your Facebook news feed.
So rather than waste another five minutes checking out some dude’s online photos from 2009, I’m going to give you the real short and sweet version of the things to do here.
Things To Do In Playa Del Carmen – in and around the the city
A great feature of Playa Del Carmen is how close everything is.
You don’t need to spend hours traveling just to do something engaging.
Here’s a list of things to do in the city that should get you excited.
- 5th Avenue – The funky central street that’s packed with bars, cute shops, and an enchanting atmosphere.
- Downtown Playa del Carmen – The hidden places to find when you’re exploring Playa Del Carmen.
- Fishing – Choose between deep sea fishing and fly fishing, and if you don’t know the difference, then I’ve done some research to help you out.
- Beaches – White sand, turquoise ocean, swaying palm trees. It sounds like a postcard but it could be included in your your next vacation package. There are plenty of beaches to choose from, including the best beach in Playa Del Carmen.
- Topless beaches – You know you want to check out this link…
- Snorkeling / Scuba Diving – Head out from the sand and stick your head beneath the water for turtles, tropical reefs, rays, and chicks in bikinis. I’m talking about snorkeling. But you can also do some pretty awesome diving in Playa Del Carmen.
- Shopping – Shop for souvenirs, tequila, clothes, sunglasses, or some dodgy street food that almost gives you the shits.
- Swimming with dolphins – Swimming is a bit of an understatement. It’s more like cuddling, or dancing the tango with the dolphins. It’s not just for the kids either.
- Swimming with whale sharks – You can get very close to these marine beasts. Just watch out, as they could swallow you whole.
- Sightseeing – That is, if you can drag yourself away from the beaches and the bars.
- Playa Del Carmen On a Rental Bike – It’s flat and it’s chilled. No not Holland. I’m talking about Playa Del Carmen, another perfect place to either do a jungle bike tour or rent a bicycle.
- Spanish lessons and language schools – Need to justify a longer vacation in paradise? Easy, just come to Playa Del Carmen and learn a language.
- Jungle tours – Playa Del Carmen is surrounded by thick green trees and untouched jungle. You really should check it out.
- Drinking – No trip to Playa Del Carmen is complete without getting hideously drunk. Check out the cocktails, the best bars, the funkiest clubs, and how to continually be drinking at happy hour.
- Eating – Playa Del Carmen has incredible food and some of the best restaurants in the Americas. And the food doesn’t give you the shits. But you’re going to need a heads up on the best places to go.
- Sailing — Enjoy the area from the sea on either a small scoop or on a catamaran booze cruise. Loads of fun and a cheap way to do two things at once: 1) Spend a great day on a boat. 2) Drink yourself to oblivion.
Things that can get you REALLY excited in Playa Del Carmen
- Sex – Vacation + sun + alcohol + dancing = sex. Well at least it could do if you don’t get as drunk as I do.
- Zip-lining – Like pretending to be Tarzan and cruising above the jungle canopy.
- Cenotes – Ce-what? Underground water holes that you’ll find all around Playa Del Carmen. Beautiful, and an opportunity to swim in the jungle. Increase the wonder by trying cenote diving in Playa Del Carmen.
- Golf courses – I’d rather sit on the beach and get wasted. But if you’re into hitting balls, there are lots of options for Playa del Carmen golf.
- Swinging and swingers clubs – No, this isn’t another entry about golf. Around Playa Del Carmen you’ll find a few swingers clubs – places where nakedness, public sex (in private areas, of course) and sharing women are encouraged. Wow!
- Massage – Either a serious sports massage, or a sensual massage that gets you a little overexcited. (By the way, this is both for men and women.)
- Parasailing / Skydiving– Don’t just admire Playa Del Carmen from the ground. Hit the sky and either parasail over the beach, or skydive out of a plane. Either way, lets hope the parachute is in good working order.
- Jet ski – Rev the motor and charge across the Caribbean.
- ATV tours – Rev the motor and cruise through pristine jungle.
- Rent a scooter – Rev a slightly smaller motor and go wherever you please in Playa Del Carmen.
- Kiteboarding – Switch to kite power and cruise freely on the waves.
Things to do outside Playa Del Carmen
Playa del Carmen is in the heart of the Riviera Maya, surrounded by nature, ancient history, and far more entertainment than the latest viral craze.
The following things to do can all be found within two hours of Playa Del Carmen.
- Xcaret – Like Disneyland, except Mexican and ten times the visual appeal.
- Xel-ha – Has the largest natural aquarium in the world. Enough said.
- Xplor – An adventure theme park that’s in the middle of nature. Go zip-lining, rafting, cenote swimming, and driving strange amphibious vehicles.
- Xenotes – Earth, wind, water, and fire. It’s not a kid’s cartoon, it’s a journey to four of the Rivieria Maya’s best cenotes.
- Mayan pyramids – We’re not talking about a few ruined rocks. These Mayan pyramids are double the age of the USA and as big as a city.
- Ancient Mayan history – Honestly, the Mayans have been around for over 1000 years, and they’re into some real funky shit.
- Mayan tours – Of course you’ll need an actual Mayan to show you exactly how they live.
- Chichen Itza – The most famous of the Mayan pyramids, and one that you have to squeeze into your itinerary.
- Xichen – Probably the best Chichen Itza tour you can go on.
- Tulum – A Mayan pyramid that stands over a beach and is surrounded by jungle. Astonishingly impressive.
- Local Tours – There are dozens of different tours you can do. I’ve been checking them out to make sure you get great value for your money.
Destinations you can visit around Playa Del Carmen
- Cozumel – A paradise island just off the coast of Playa Del Carmen (it’s actually visible from the beach in Playa). Make sure you know about the Cozumel ferry schedule and the crazy things you can get up to on Cozumel.
- Akumal – No shit, you just walk into the ocean, swim for 50 meters, and you’ll be swimming with turtles.
- Playacar – Where the rich people hang out, including many women who wear a bikini two sizes too small.
- Puerto Morelos – A Mexican backwater that’s idyllic and charming, until you start drinking mescal with the locals. Also a stop for international cruise ships.
- Cancun – The boisterous big brother along the Caribbean coastline. Good for a night out, but better to spend your vacation in Playa Del Carmen.
- Riviera Maya – Picture a strip of perfect white sand, surrounded by an immense swathe of tropical jungle. That’s the Riviera Maya, and Playa Del Carmen is right in the center of it.
- Quintana Roo – The state where Playa Del Carmen is located – along with Cancun, Tulum, etc…
So What Are The Best Things To Do In Playa Del Carmen?
But you’re not going to find out if you spend the next year masturbating over your new iPhone and not using your passport.
Come to Playa Del Carmen. Seriously. What more convincing do you need?
Okay, send me a message first, and I’ll have a margarita waiting for you when you arrive.
No, two margaritas and a game of beach volleyball to boot.
I hope to see you here soon!
Lots of love,
Do you have any ideas about the best things to do here? Please leave them in the comments section below!